VPN Setup for Windows 7 : PPTP Protocol
This article explains how to setup PPTP VPN protocol connection on a Windows 7 PC.
Before we begin, you need to Activate your VPN account from your Smart DNS Proxy MyAccount panel. In order to do this login to your https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/MyAccount.
Under Home section you will find VPN Configuration Status. There simply enter the VPN username you would like to use and then click Activate. Your VPN account password will be the same as your Smart DNS Proxy account.
Setting up your Windows 7 PC for VPN:
Click on the Windows Start button and type "network" in the search box. When the results appear, click on the "Network and Sharing Center" link.
Click on the "Set up a new connection or network" link.
Select the "Connect to a workplace" option, then click "Next".
Select the "No, create a new connection" option, then click "Next".
Click the "Use my Internet connection (VPN)" option.
- In the Internet Address box, enter the address of the VPN server you would like to get connected
- In the Destination Name box, enter "SDP VPN". Here you can enter more friendly name depending of the servers you like to setup, i.e.; "SDP United States", SDP United Kingdom", "SDP Switzerland".
- Select the "Don't connect now; just set it up so I can connect later" option.
Click "Next" to continue.
- In the User name box, enter the value displayed next to "VPN Login".
- In the Password box, enter your "Smart DNS Proxy Account Password".
- Select the "Remember this password" option.
Click on the "Create" button.
Don't click "Connect now", click the "Close" button instead.
Go back to the "Network and Sharing Center" screen and select the "Connect to a network" option.
In the bottom corner of your screen, click on "Connect" next to the "SDP VPN United Kingdom" item.
Click on the "Properties" button.
On the Security tab, change the Type of VPN option to "Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)".
Make sure the "Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2)" option is selected and the the other options are not selected.
On the Networking tab, ensure ONLY the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" item is enabled (be sure to un-tick the others), then Click "OK" button.
You can now click the "Connect" button and the VPN connection should be established.
You are now connected and all your internet traffic is Encrypted & Secured!
You can connect and disconnect at anytime using the network menu in the system tray. If the VPN connection fails, see the troubleshooting tips below.
There are several reasons that the VPN connection will fail. Here are some things to check.
- PPTP protocol might be blocked in your Internet Service Provider connection. Setup L2TP VPN connection. L2TP uses different protocol and encryption layer.
If the VPN connection still fails, please log a ticket with our support team for assistance.